10 Aug 6 Steps to Combating Hair Loss
There’s no guarantee that you can prevent hair loss, but if you take good care of your hair, it’ll stay in much better condition and won’t leave your scalp as fast.
- Your first line of defense is to use a scalp cleanser, aka DHT blockers. These bad boys concentrate on your scalp by cleansing and creating an ideal environment for hair growth. Minoxidil (a vasodilator that widens blood vessels) is the active ingredient in DHT blockers.
- There’s no such thing as a shampoo that prevents hair loss, or one that’ll grow your hair. Shampoo is a rinse product, not a drug that enters the body. It only penetrates the cuticle (the outer layer of hair).
- Use a botanically blended product. Natural ingredients can reduce hair loss by strengthening it. Biotin is a B complex vitamin and helps strengthen hair.
- There are also natural oils that eliminate buildup and increase blood flow when applied to the scalp. Some great oils are Avocado, Coconut, Argan, Olive, and Almond.
- If OTC treatments aren’t doing the job, consult your doctor. Prescription medications are effective at curbing and sometimes even reversing hair loss. They don’t work for everyone, so talk to your doc.
- Never underestimate the power of a good haircut. Try going for something shorter or even bald. Instead of trying to hide what’s going on with your hair, embrace what you have and cut your hair shorter.
Don’t wear hats as they can cause breakage. Keep your scalp as clean as possible. Make sure your diet is full of iron, protein, vitamin C, omega-3, zinc and biotin. Start taking a quality supplement and remember there are medications your doctor can prescribe if you want to take it a step further.