07 Sep WHAT ARE “CARBS”?
Posted at 19:37h in Health
- Carbohydrates are large molecules that vary in complexity and how long they take to get broken down and used by the body for energy; or stored when not used.
- The more simple carbs are the simple sugars: things like glucose, sucrose, fructose and lactose. These simple molecules are easy to break down and turn into quick energy, providing a quick burst and possible drop later.
- This quick energy is great if you’re working out or using a lot of energy, but if you have a more sedentary lifestyle, your body will want to store this energy as fat.
- More complex carbs like the starch found in cereal grains and vegetables are slightly more difficult to break down and therefore give us more lasting energy.
- Whole grains have more plant fiber and therefore break down even slower.